Buying RGB LEDs

Shop Forums QnA Buying RGB LEDs

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  stabilized 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

stabilized
    Participant

Hi,

I bought a b.face from you a while ago, but I chose not to get RGB LEDs. I now have changed my mind and would like to add them, but I am unsure of which ones to buy. The ones on your website look very close to these ones: http://cpc.farnell.com/kingbright/kaa-3528embsgc/led-smd-plcc4-rgb/dp/SC11727
    Would these be the right ones to go for? If not, could you let me know what the specifications are of the LEDs so I can buy the correct ones?

Thanks!

Hi

The RGB LED we use is WS2812B.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

stabilized
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, for reference those ones linked wouldn’t have worked.

Oh… one more thing.

You need sub mcu(attiny 85) to control RGB LED and firmware for it.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

stabilized
    Participant

Oh yeah, I see the empty pad for that now. What about other components? I notice that there is a space for resister near the MCU, do those need to be filled? Also I noticed there are pads marked WC beside the LED pads, what are those for?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I kind of thought I could just solder in the LEDs and be done with it!

You need only sub mcu(part name “attiny 85”).

But…
    – You need a firmware you made, since it’s generic mcu.

– I don’t recommend to solder it, if you are not good at doing it.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

stabilized
    Participant

Soldering is not a problem, I have done SMD stuff before.

So what about the firmware? Do you have a version I can download and flash?

The only way is that you get attiny85 from me, so I can flash the firmware up.

If you want, I can ship it to you for free.
    But you should pay for delivery fee($5)

Anyway…. as I said previously…
    I recommend that you not solder it yourself!
    It’s so tiny that you may easily make problems.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

stabilized
    Participant

Oh ok, I understand, I assumed there would be some way to access it through the usb interface. I don’t really know about controller stuff!

Ok, I would be happy to buy one from you, and just in case could I get two instead of just one (I can pay extra)? I am pretty good with soldering and done some SMD resistors and diodes before, so it should be ok for me to do a controller like this (I think).

I mean the only other way would be I send my whole keyboard to you for you to solder on the parts, which would be really expensive and take a long time!

stabilized
    Participant

BTW if you can send me the hex file I think I can flash it myself. I did a bit of research and I think all I need is a soic socket and an Arduino? I have an Arduino and the soic socket is cheap, so could you just send me the hex file and I can flash it myself 🙂

Yes you can. And even you can download the firmware from PCB.

But we are going to protect that firmware as our asset.
    And we officially don’t recommend.

Once I distribute it officially, I’ll be overwhelmed with questions on soldering and source customization.
    (I experienced that when I opened the MCU firmware.)

So please understand that.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

stabilized
    Participant

Ok, I understand.

In that case, I would like to order a couple of controllers from you, what is the best way to arrange payment and order details?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘QnA’ is closed to new topics and replies.