RGB LED help

Shop Forums QnA RGB LED help

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  flashteker@gmail.com 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Kevin
    Participant

Hi,

I was having trouble getting the RGB LEDs to work. The LEDs flash when I plug in USB, but nothing else happens.

If a Keyboard is flashing and doesn’t work, it means it entered bootloader mode. There would be an electric short around LCtrl or LWin switch.
    To check it, just desolder both switches, and replug your keyboard.
    If it’s working, the problem is due to bad soldering of two switches.

Please tell me your test result.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

Kevin
    Participant

Hi,

I’ll try the desoldering, but the RGB LEDs only flash once, and then stay turned off. The keyboard works, but the RGB Led
    backlight doesn’t work.

Hi

Could you upload new firmware by using BootmapperClient program?
    (For details http://blog.winkeyless.kr/183)

If it doesn’t work after uploading it, then please check the soldering of your RGB LED parts.
    (For guide of soldering http://winkeyless.kr/soldering-guide/)

RGB LED has direction.

I hope it helps.

(Please let me know the result.)

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

LunarisDream
    Participant

Yo OP, I had almost the exact same problem. The cause of it was bad soldering around a couple of the pins of a single RGB LED. Unfortunately, I don’t know if there’s a way to check with a multimeter, and your best bet would be to reflow and/or clean up the solder around the pads for RGB LEDs that appear to have messy soldering. Make sure the solder isn’t connecting different pads, and that all solder joints evenly cover the pads on the PCB and the legs of the RGB LEDs. Add more if it looks like there aren’t enough, and add a bit to ones that you feel like are barely enough, because I had a couple joints that seemed like they were fully covered but needed more solder.

Good luck.

Kevin
    Participant

Hi,

I finally had time to fiddle with it again, but as it turns out, I fiddled too much.

I’m pretty sure I broke something, since the keyboard is now non-responsive and my MAC starts putting out “USB over voltage” alerts.

Oh…

There must be some electric short.
    First check the direction(polarity) of RGB LED(< -- it is the usual case when voltage overflow.) (To check it is the reason, desolder all RGB LEDs. And replug your keyboard to PC.) Or ... um... Check the all soldering points(pads) if there is short. If it doesn't work, could you send me some photos? My email is flashteker@gmail.com.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘QnA’ is closed to new topics and replies.