PCB not recognized

Shop Forums QnA PCB not recognized

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  benson.9a 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

I just finished soldering components on my PCB and decided to test it before soldering switches. The bootmapper client says “Error opening HIDBoot device: The specified device was not found”. In device manager, it shows up as “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)”. Any ideas? I think my soldering is good, how easy is it to overheat components? If a component was damaged, would I have to buy it from you or could I order it from somewhere locally?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi Sorry for your inconvenience.

Could you show me your PCB ?

And let me know your order number.

Surely you can buy damaged components.
    But we should find which ones were damaged.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

Order number is W6444.

In the pictures I think the brown capacitor just below the USB port got too much heat. Not sure about other components.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:

Hi

Judging from your own photos you provided….

1. a resistor(68ohm) was not soldered.

2. I guess there are lots of shorts around MCU. Please check them with magnifying glass and remove them

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

I soldered that resistor on and cleaned up the joints on the MCU. I looked very closely with a magnifying glass and cannot see any more bridges, I believe there was one or two. I plugged it in and the first time, the RGB led W8 flashed white for a moment. The PCB still showed up as “Unknown USB Device” though. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and the RGB led W20 flashed green five times, I still got the same error again. On the third time of unplugging and replugging, the entire top row of RGB leds flashed. W8 was blue, and W7-W1 was green, but windows still does not recognize it. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks

Benson

Hi Benson.

Your symptom is showing the soldering problem – bridges, unstable soldering…

I guess your MCU was not installed properly.

It’s quite rare that the soldering of resistors and capacitor would have problem.
    Mostly it is happening with MCU and RGB controller(attiny85) soldering.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

I looked very carefully at each joint on the MCU and attiny85 and do not see any bridges. I used a microscope to inspect the MCU joints and tidied a few up, but I still have the same issue. I have attached very closeup pictures of both the MCU and RGB controller.

Thanks,

Benson

Attachments:

T_T

Hi Benson.

There is nothing I can tell.

Because of this issue, I am offering the option of controller-soldering.

As you know from your experience, it’s almost impossible for a PCB to have a problem itself.

The only thing I can tell is to look into the parts and solder them properly.

Thanks.
    Hojin.Yi

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

Does that mean I should send the PCB to you to fix? If so, how much would it cost?

Thanks,

Benson

This reply has been marked as private.

benson.9a
    Participant

Hi Hojin,

I will send you an email.

Thanks,

Benson

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘QnA’ is closed to new topics and replies.